Microsoft provides the most comprehensive approach to cloud computing, so that you can harness the full power of the cloud on your terms. Whether in your datacenter, with a service provider, or from Microsoft’s datacenters—and whether in a private cloud, public cloud, or Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) environment—Microsoft provides the flexibility and control to consume IT as a service, whichever way best meets your unique business needs.
Office 365 is a new brand and a new way to think about productivity in the cloud. It is the next step in the future of productivity, bringing together Office, SharePoint, Exchange, and Lync in an always up-to-date cloud service. Microsoft Office 365 delivers the power of cloud productivity to businesses of all sizes, helping to save time, money and free up valued resources. Office 365 combines the familiar Office desktop suite with cloud-based versions of our next-generation communications and collaboration services: Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and Lync Online.Learn More
Private cloud is the implementation of cloud services on resources that are dedicated to your organization, whether they exist on-premises or off-premises. With a private cloud, you get many of the benefits of public cloud computing—including self-service, scalability, and elasticity—with the additional control and customization available from dedicated resources.
There are two models for cloud services that can be delivered in a private cloud: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). With IaaS, you can use infrastructure resources (compute, network, and storage) as a service, while PaaS provides a complete application platform as a service. Microsoft offers solutions that deliver IaaS and PaaS for both private and public cloud deployments.
IaaS: Microsoft Hyper-V Cloud
Using the infrastructure as a service model, the Microsoft solution for private cloud, built on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and System Center, is a key part of Microsoft’s approach to cloud computing, enabling you to build out a dedicated cloud environment to transform the way your deliver IT services to the business.Get Started
PaaS: Windows Azure Platform Appliance
Microsoft is also using the power of Windows Azure to deliver a platform as a service private cloud with the Windows Azure Platform Appliance, a turnkey cloud platform that service providers, large enterprises and governments can deploy in their own datacenter, across hundreds to thousands of servers..Get Started
To help you deploy commercial private and public clouds based on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V, System Center, and related products, Microsoft offers a set of programs and initiatives called Hyper-V Cloud. These programs can help you:
- Build your own private cloud with help from the Hyper-V Cloud Deployment Guides and Hyper-V Cloud partners.
- Get a pre-validated private cloud configuration from Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track OEM partners. Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track partners have worked with Microsoft to combine hardware and software offerings based on a reference architecture for building private clouds.
- Find a service provider in the Hyper-V Cloud Service Provider Program who can host a dedicated private cloud for you.
Hyper-V, the Windows Server 2008 R2 hypervisor-based server virtualization technology, is a core component of the Microsoft private cloud. Hyper-V helps you to make the best use of your server hardware investments by consolidating multiple server roles as separate virtual machines (VMs) running on a single physical machine. It also helps you efficiently run multiple, different operating systems—Windows, Linux, and others—in parallel, on a single server, and fully leverage the power of x64 computing.
- Increased availability of virtualized datacenters through enhancements such as Live Migration
- Improved management of virtualized datacenters through Powershell and System Center integration
- Increased performance and hardware support for Hyper-V virtual machines through support for up to 64 logical processors and processor compatibility mode
- Improved virtual networking performance through new networking technologies
- Simplified deployments of physical and virtual computers through enhanced support for .vhd files
System Center solutions help you accelerate your journey to cloud computing by enabling you to deliver cost-effective and agile datacenter services to manage your physical, virtual, and cloud environments in an integrated manner.
- Scalable virtualization and management across datacenter infrastructure and business-critical workloads through resource-pooling
- Optimized service delivery across virtual machines, applications, and services by extending existing investments in Microsoft technologies
- Improved service reliability through standardized datacenter management processes with out-of-the-box, industry-certified, service-management workflows combined with orchestrated run book automation
- Improved business agility through IT in self-service mode, while enabling IT to retain control of your datacenter resources
- Greater flexibility to manage a wide range of heterogeneous datacenter requirements like multi-hypervisor and platform support, cross-platform monitoring, and more
Virtual Machine ManagerSelf-Service Portal 2.0
The Virtual Machine Manager Self-Service Portal, built on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and System Center, is a free, extensible, turnkey solution that empowers datacenters to dynamically pool, allocate, and manage resources to enable on premises private cloud computing. Using this solution, you can create agile, virtualized infrastructures and facilitate business agility, operational efficiencies, and reduced management complexity.
- Datacenter resource allocation for business units to help meet changing infrastructure needs through resource pooling
- Easier business unit on-boarding by registering business unit requirements in one centralized location
- Infrastructure provisioning and validation by enabling datacenter administrators to efficiently provision requested resources and assign them back to business unit IT administrators
- Streamlined virtual machine management though self-service provisioning
- Extensible functionality with guidance to help partners
Windows Azure™ provides a scalable environment with compute, storage, hosting, and management capabilities. It links to on-premises applications with secure connectivity, messaging, and identity management.Learn more about Windows Azure™
SQL Azure is a Relational Database for the Cloud. Your Data: Anyplace, anytime. SQL Azure is a full relational database in the cloud.Learn more about SQL Azure
Windows Azure™ Marketplace
The Windows Azure™ Marketplace is an online marketplace for developers to share, find, buy and sell building block components, training, service templates, premium data sets plus finished services and applications needed to build Windows Azure™ platform applications.