Promotes a social constructionist pedagogy (collaboration, activities, critical reflection, etc) and e-learning solution is suitable for 100% online classes as well as supplementing face-to-face learning.
- Simple, lightweight, efficient, compatible, low-tech browser interface
- Course listing shows descriptions for every course on the server, including accessibility to guests.
- Courses can be categorised and searched - one site can support thousands of courses
- Emphasis on strong security throughout. Forms are all checked, data validated, cookies encrypted etc
- Most text entry areas (resources, forum postings etc) can be edited using an embedded WYSIWYG HTML editor
- Site is managed by an administrator user
- Site is defined during setup. Defaults can be edited during setup or globally accepted
- Site can be modified by a robust Site administration block.
- Please note: In the description below, we use the term of teachers and students. These terms are generic and could be replaced by whatever the e-learning centre will be targeted to. eg. HR manager for teacher or company employee for student.
- Goals are to reduce admin involvement to a minimum, while retaining high security
- Supports a range of authentication mechanisms through plug-in authentication modules, allowing easy integration with existing systems.
- Standard email method: students can create their own login accounts. Email addresses are verified by confirmation.
- LDAP method: account logins can be checked against an LDAP server. Admin can specify which fields to use.
- IMAP, POP3, NNTP: account logins are checked against a mail or news server. SSL, certificates and TLS are supported.
- Students are encouraged to build an online profile including photos, description. Email addresses can be protected from display if required.
- Every user can specify their own timezone, and every date in Academy is translated to that timezone (e.g. posting dates, assignment due dates etc)
- Every user can choose the language used for the E-LEARNING interface (English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese etc),
- Teachers can add an "enrolment key" to their courses to keep out non-students. They can give out this key face-to-face or via personal email etc
- Teachers can enrol students manually if desired
- Teachers can unenrol students manually if desired, otherwise they are automatically unenrolled after a certain period of inactivity (set by the admin)
- External database: any database containing at least two fields can be used as an external authentication source.
- Each person requires only one account for the whole server - each account can have different access
- Meta courses can group together related courses so participants can interact with each other
- Roles for specific participants can be defined for each course
- An admin account controls the creation of courses and creates teachers by assigning users to courses
- Course creators can create courses, teach in them, and assign others to teacher roles.
- Teachers are a role in a specific course.
- Non-editing teacher roles are available for adjuncts, and part-time tutors.